After not so successful 3G services , Indian telecom companies are readying their next generation 4G LTE services . Airtel is one of the first such operator with launch of 4G connectivity in in India . Airtel 4G is currently available in Chandigarh , Panchkula , Kolkata , Bengaluru , and Pune .
With 4G LTE connectivity you can :
- Watch seamless high quality videos online without any buffer time or lag
- Play HD games online or play multi-player games like the popular counter-strike , and you will always have edge over your opponents due to lowest latency in your connection and hence fast reaction time
- Download high quality Audio/Video songs in blink of an eye while on move
- High speeds data download and uploads
But the downside is that currently you can not make voice calls or send SMS using the Airtel 4G services .
Airtel 4G Devices : Either you can use your 4G enabled smartphone (which are not currently launched in India but you can buy some online ) or you have to buy any of these devices from Airtel to access 4G connection . Many of the local mobile manufacturers like Micromax are also expected to launch their affordable price 4G data cards . The 4G smartphone like HTC Evo 4G, Motorola Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Sensation 4G , New iPhone are expected to be launched by the end of the year 2012 in India .
- Airtel 4G LTE USB Data Card Price – Rs.4,999 – Connect to a laptop or compatible tablet PC via USB, for high-speed 4G LTE connectivity . It also sports a MicroSD card slot to use it as a pen drive .
- Airtel 4G LTE Indoor Wireless Gateways Price – Rs.4,999 – 4G LTE over WiFi for multi users to share a single 4G connection in a home or office .
Airtel 4G Plans – Airtel LTE Tariff in Bengaluru , Kolkata , Chandigarh , Pune , Panchkula , Mohali
||Break Free Max
||Break Free Ultra
||Break Free Ultimate
||Break Free Supreme
|Free Usage per month
|Cash-back per month
||1 month rental over 6 months
||2 month rental over 6 months
||Discount of Rs 3749 over 12 months
||Discount of Rs 4999 over 12 months
|| Discount of Rs.4999 over 12 months
Note : Above Airtel 4G Plans are available in both prepaid and postpaid. Cashback offer is available only on postpaid. Break free supreme plan is available on postpaid.
Airtel 4G introductory offer (60 days)
- On the Rs.1399 postpaid plan, customers will get a money back for a value equivalent of two month’s rent, spread over first 6 bill cycles, equivalent to a bill discount of Rs.466/ bill for 6 bills.
- On Rs.1999 postpaid plan , customers will get a discount of Rs 3749 over 12 months, which is equivalent to Rs 312 over first 12 bills.
- On Rs.2999 postpaid plan , customers will get a discount of Rs 4999 over 12 months, which is equivalent to Rs 416 over first 12 bill cycles
Airtel 4G LTE Postpaid Top-up Plans :
- 3GB – Rs.600
- 5GB – Rs.875
- 10GB – Rs.1500
Introducing movie catalogue for airtel 4G customers
- Taking online movie streaming to the next level, airtel is introducing catalogue of 35 movies for its 4G LTE customers.
- 10 movie titles will be available free of cost for the first month for its customers to experience the new face of entertainment over lightening fast Airtel 4G LTE without buffering, pixilation and lag.
- Monthly subscription for the catalogue is INR 149 /month for unlimited movies.
- Currently available movies : Rang De Basanti,Life in a Metro,Pardes,Dev D,Wednesday,Taal,Khosla Ka Ghosla,Kaminey,Aashiqui(1990),Swades,Welcome To Sajjanpur,Bhool Bhulaiyaa,Raajneeti,Fashion,Dil Hai Manta Nahi,I Hate Luv Storys,Oye Lucky Lucky Oye!,Shootout At Lokhandwala,No One Killed Jessica,Kurbaan,Fairy Tales – Beauty and the Beast,Tees Maar Khan,Delhi -6,Fairy Tales – Cindrella
Some of the 4G related FAQs from Airtel :
- What is 4G or LTE?
- LTE stands for “Long Term Evolution” – it is a radio access technology to deliver Very high speeds-up to 100Mbps (technically) in an ideal environment. 4G is a Standard in Mobile Network Technology and stands for “Fourth Generation”-the latest after 2G and 3G.
- What is the difference between GPRS, EDGE, 3G and 4G?
- GPRS: refers to a service on the 2G network that provides basic data up to 56kbps (similar to dial-up speeds)
- EDGE: It is a 2.5G technology. An enhancement of the 2G technology which provides higher data transfer rates compared to GPRS (the default on 2G).The speeds can go up to 144 Kbps
- 3G: 3G technology provides faster / higher data transfer rates compared to the 2G network (EDGE & GPRS).This technology can offer speeds up to 21 Mbps
- 4G: This technology rides on LTE platform and is the latest in the world of mobile data transfer. It is the next generation of mobile communications. Currently it is the most advanced technology available. Theoretical data downlink speeds can go up to 100 Mbps.
- How is 4G better than 3G?
- Being the latest platform of mobile communications 4G – LTE can enable real mobile (wireless) broadband experience. The technology supports theoretical download speeds up to 100 Mbps and upload speeds up to 50 Mbps. It has a very low latency rate (< 5-30 ms) making it suitable for all type of high speed applications and services.
- What can I do with airtel 4G LTE?
- airtel 4G LTE can be used at home or your office for :
- Wireless internet access
- Access rich content and multimedia applications eg: e-learning, HD content-movies etc…
- multiple downloads of heavy files, high definition multimedia content at the same time will be possible
- Higher uplink and downlink speeds
- Seamless online streaming – without buffering
- High definition online gaming
- Access business applications that require higher speeds and last mile connectivity
- What kind of speed can I expect in 4G LTE?
- 4G or LTE is going to bring fastest wireless broadband Internet access in India. However, being a wireless technology-bandwidth is a shared resource, hence no of simultaneous users defines the final delivered speeds.
- What is the difference between wired broadband and wireless broadband?
- Wired or Fixed broadband is a fixed place service requiring wired line connectivity up to the computer. On the contrary, wireless broadband is a wireless service which enables you to access internet anywhere, in the house or while on the move
- Where have you launched airtel 4G or LTE?
- airtel is the 1st and only service provider to launch 4G in India and 4G service is currently available in Kolkata, Bengaluru, Pune and Chandigarh .
- How can I use airtel 4G LTE? Or what do I need to use airtel 4G LTE?
- a.You will require a 4G LTE enabled device and a USIM. Click here to view device FAQS
- b.airtel has developed an ecosystem of partners who have come up with multiple devices to suit your requirements.airtel 4G LTE USB Dongles
- Airtel 4G LTE Indoor CPE ( ICPE)
- Can I upgrade / exchange my 3G dongle to a 4G dongle?
- Currently we don’t have any such option available; you will have to purchase a 4G dongle.
- What is the difference between a single and multi mode dongle?
- a.Subject to the availability of the services in the city
- 1. A Single mode device will support airtel 4G LTE data network only. 2. A Multimode Mode device will support 2G / 3G / 4G network
- b.Please note that voice and SMS is not supported on 4G. In 3G & 2G your SMS and USSD along with Data Services will work.
- Do I need a new or separate SIM or number for airtel 4G LTE?
- Yes, you will need a new number for airtel 4G LTE , you will also need a USIM to be on the airtel 4G network.
- What is USIM?
- a.USIM stands for Universal Subscriber Identification Module, it is different than your current SIM since it is a 128 KB SIM
- b.A Universal subscriber identity module or Universal subscriber identification module (SIM) is an integrated circuit that securely stores the International Mobile Subscriber Identity (IMSI) and the related key used to identify and authenticate subscribers on mobile telephony devices
- What is the difference between normal SIM & USIM?
- a.Normal SIM supports 2G & 3G Network, but USIM Supports 2G, 3G, 4G Networks as well as JAVA Applications.
- b.Memory of normal SIM is 64KB whereas memory of USIM is 128KB
- Are you giving any warranty on the dongles?
- The dongles will come with a 1 year manufacturer’s warranty
- Where is your dongle service center?
- There are seven service centers in Kolkata who will provide hardware support
- How can I activate airtel 4G LTE?
- a.You can visit our ARC / airtel store for an exclusive experience of airtel 4G LTE services and leave your contact details. Our Sales executives will visit you at your home or office for a sales consultation and product demonstration before collecting the order. Alternately you can leave your contact details on our website or at our customer care. We will get back to you.
- b.You will get a new airtel 4G LTE number
- c.We would require your Proof of Address & Proof of Identity along with photograph & an alternate mobile number. The later will allow us to communicate through SMS.
- I already submitted documents when I bought my existing airtel no, why do you need it again?
- Since this is a new number, we will need these details from you. We can however link this new connection to your existing number so that you get one airtel bill.
- Why do you need an alternate no?
- a.4G network cannot be used to make / receive voice calls and SMSs.
- b.We would like to get in touch with you and also keep you informed of various activities related to your 4G number. We will use this alternate number, as the 4G number on the 4G network cannot be used to make / receive voice calls and SMSs.
- Can I change my alternate no?
- a.You can do it yourself, when connected to the Internet through airtel 4G dongle, click on the “Check Usage” option on your Connection Manager.
- b.On the page which appears, you will see your current alternate number mentioned.
- c.To change it, overwrite your new number and click on “Update” button.
- How do I know that I am on airtel 4G LTE network? / is airtel 4G LTE active on my number?
- When you have connected your dongle to the lap; on the connection manager screen you will find “LTE” written beside the signal bar on the bottom left corner of the window. This mean you are on 4G.
- Will I be able to use airtel 4G LTE on roaming?
- Since this service is currently launched only in Kolkata and Bengaluru; airtel 4G LTE will only work in Kolkata and Bengaluru. We will inform you through our website and relevant media channels regarding our future launches.
- Will I be able to play online games on airtel 4G LTE?
- Yes, airtel 4G LTE provides a high speed broadband internet access; you can even play HD games on the internet.
- Will I be able to make / receive voice calls or send / receive SMS on airtel 4G LTE?
- a.Currently voice and SMS are not supported on 4G.
- b.Currently voice and SMS are not supported on 4G. However, we are working to bring these services as part of our offering sometime soon.
- Can I do a video call on airtel 4G LTE?
- Yes Video Call based on IP platform such as Skype, Gtalk, etc can be used.
- Which other Operators are giving airtel 4G LTE services in India?
- airtel is the first operator in India to launch this kind of 4G services in Kolkata and Bengaluru.
- I already have an existing Postpaid/Prepaid number, will I get a separate bill for my 4G number?
- We can link your 4G number to your existing airtel phone number so that you get one airtel bill for both these numbers.
- What are the recharge options available for 4G or LTE?
- There are attractive recharge options for 4G LTE. Please visit tariff section on www.airtel.in/4G or call 1800 1030405 for more details.
- How do I recharge my prepaid number?
- We can link your 4G number to your existing airtel phone number so that you get one airtel bill for both these numbers.
- How do I check my usage?
- a.When your dongle is connected to your Lap, on the Connection Manager, click on the “Check Usage” option available on the left (below the menu bar).
- b.The window which appears will give you a graphical representation of your usage
- c.You can also view your available balance here
- I have forgotten my dongle number, where do I get it from?
- a.When connected to the Internet through airtel 4G dongle, click on the “Check Usage” option on your Connection Manager.
- b.On the page which appears, you will see dongle number.